Mumford & Sons Official Forum
Exclusive Updates Official Site Buy Music Surf Safe
in

Lover's Eyes- Shakespeare Connection

Last post 03-28-2012 6:42 AM by Music4real. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-27-2012 12:49 AM

• Music4real
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-12-2012
    • Birmingham Alabama, USA
    • Posts 127

Lover's Eyes- Shakespeare Connection

So, I was reading Act 1, Scene 1 of Romeo and Juliet a few moments ago becuase my english class has just kicked off the Romeo and Juliet unit!

As I was saying, I was getting towards the end of the act when I stumbled accross a quote that seemed to me to carry the message of Lover's Eyes.

For those of you who are unfimiliar with Romeo and Juliet or have forgotten about it I'll set up what's going on...

Benvolio (Romeo's cousin) was just discussing with Montague and Lady Montague about Romeo's deep sadness, when Romeo enters the scene. Benvolio quickly instructs the Montagues to go so he can discuss with his cousin and hopefully find out the source of his dispair. Benvolio begins asking Romeo what lengthens his days and Romeo tells him "Not having that which, having, makes them short." Benvolio quickly jumps to the assumption of love and Romeo glumly replys "Out-" "Of love?" Benvolio asks and Romeo replys, "Out of her favour, where I am in love." The scene continues on untill we find out that Romeo's love has decided become a nun. Romeo tells Benvolio of how hard love is and how ruthless it can be. He tells Benvolio,

"Love is a smoke raised with the fume of sighs;

Being purged, a fire sparkling in lovers' eyes;

Being vex'd, a sea nourish'd with lovers' tears:

What is it else? a madness most discreet,

A choking gall and a preserving sweet." (Shakespeare, 7)

I just think that with the words "lovers' eyes" in the quote and the messge being told it seems that there may be some inspiration and relation to our boy's song Lover's Eyes.

What do you all think?

(I am using the Dover Thrift Edition of Romeo and Juliet)

Hear my voice! I came out of the woods by choice!-- It's like, Yes lads!
  • 03-28-2012 4:33 AM In reply to

Re: Lover's Eyes- Shakespeare Connection

Very observant of you, I think it fits! I have no idea about a direct inspiration the boys had from Romeo and Juliet. However, with all the other literary references - Shakespeare in Sigh No More, Plato in The Cave, and echos of Steinbeck in Dustbowl Dance and Timshel- I wouldn't be surprised if there were a correlation. These lines from Lover's Eyes in particular make me think of Romeo and Juliet: Were we too young And heads too strong To bear the weight of these lover's eyes ... Well let me die where I lie 'Neath the curse of my lover's eyes .... I think the substance behind the songwriting of this band is amazing, as is the way they use literary references. I'm working on a project for American Literature right now, a presentation/speech on John Steinbeck, and I'm pretty psyched to get to incorporate some Mumford into it! With all the trite, shallow pop music today, Mumford gives me hope for real music.
    Réveille mon âme
  • 03-28-2012 6:42 AM In reply to

• Music4real
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-12-2012
    • Birmingham Alabama, USA
    • Posts 127

Re: Lover's Eyes- Shakespeare Connection

Steinbeck is the greatest! I've gotten into a lot of his books lately thanks to Marcus and all the relations to Steinbeck in their music! I'm hoping I'll be able to incorporate Mumford in my Romeo and Juliet paper. That would be fantastic!
    Hear my voice! I came out of the woods by choice!-- It's like, Yes lads!
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)