Mumford & Sons Official Forum
Exclusive Updates Official Site Buy Music Surf Safe
in

"The Cave" Song Meaning

Last post 09-21-2013 12:54 PM by michaeltimothyallen. 44 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-11-2010 4:15 PM

• cmurp5
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-11-2010
    • Posts 1

"The Cave" Song Meaning

Anyone know what the real meaning of "The Cave" is? I think it is about a guy being controlled, but not sure...

BTW-going to see Mumford at the Crystal on 10/22-can't wait to see them for the first time!

Thanks! Colleen

• 09-12-2010 1:09 AM In reply to

Re: "The Cave" Song Meaning

I assume it has something to do with Plato's Allegory of the Cave... but I hadn't thought that deeply about it. It makes sense, people are chained...

Har har, har har, har har, har har
  • 09-12-2010 9:52 AM In reply to

i always thought it was about someone (a parent, friend) protecting someone from something and hoping they will get through.

Let me learn from where I have been
    I keep my eyes to serve, my hands to learn.
  • 03-24-2011 1:05 AM In reply to

agreed! I kind of think of it from the point of view of a person who decides to leave the cave and the shadows and tries to take people with him/ her. sometimes it fits. i only wikipediaed the cave allegory so i wouldn't know fo sho.
  • 03-25-2011 6:51 PM In reply to

Interesting ideas there. I always thought it's about moving on and letting go of something negative/getting out of an unhealthy relationship maybe? Especially because of the reference to the Sirens and ignoring their call and the bit that goes 'I need freedom now and I need to know how to live my life as it's meant to be'.

• 04-04-2011 5:18 AM In reply to

• callmeO
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-04-2011
    • Delaware
    • Posts 6

does anyone know the meaning of the video is about? i've always wondered that. or is it just the guys having fun riding around on mopeds and the video has no meaning at all?

• 04-05-2011 1:20 AM In reply to

i think the cave stands for someones heart to me the song means that the man is going to be by the lovers side no matter what "I can see widows and orphans through my tears" but then i think he wants to break free because of "Cause I need freedom now And I need to know how To live my life as it's meant to be"
  • 04-11-2011 8:29 AM In reply to

• makittima
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-11-2011
    • California
    • Posts 1

I feel that there are more references to the Odyssey if you want to look at literature. Or it could be about rising above some sort of addiction...
  • 04-12-2011 3:43 AM In reply to

I've heard from multiple sources, tis Plato's, "The Allegory Of The Cave". Listening to the lyrics over and over again I can picture exactly how it fits into "The Allegory Of The Cave", buuuuttttt perhaps it's just my imagination. Either way read it and compare for yourself! :D

• 04-12-2011 4:06 AM In reply to

The first thing I thought of was Plato's Allegory of the Cave as well. And I guess it makes sense... I have a hard time following symbolism and allegories. Surely the song is referring to freedom (obviously) and enlightenment? Those are my best guesses.
    Perhaps I'll be a bird someday, If I'm good enough,
    And I'll get up and fly away, and give up all this stuff.
  • 05-03-2011 8:50 PM In reply to

I understand people always want to know the true meaning of a song to the writer, but when you try to figure out what the meaning to them is. You lose the point. Music is not about the meaning of the song to one person. Its is about the meaning of music to YOU, and everyone around you. You and your best friend can hear one song at the same time, but the meaning will be different that is the true beauty of this art, or truly any art in general. 

• 05-05-2011 8:35 AM In reply to

Snoflakeobsidian:

I understand people always want to know the true meaning of a song to the writer, but when you try to figure out what the meaning to them is. You lose the point. Music is not about the meaning of the song to one person. Its is about the meaning of music to YOU, and everyone around you. You and your best friend can hear one song at the same time, but the meaning will be different that is the true beauty of this art, or truly any art in general. 

Exactly!

give me hope in silence
    it's easier, it's kinder
    tell me not of heartbreak
    it plagues my soul, it plagues my soul
    and bury me beside you
    I have no hope in solitude
  • 05-19-2011 10:40 PM In reply to

The song is firstly, wonderful. Secondly, it is taken nearly directly from Chapter V of GK Chesterton's biography of St. Francis of Assisi, about Francis' conversion to being radically Catholic. Marcus Mumford has a book club and says he has read Chesterton-a prominent Catholic theologian, philosopher, journalist, poet. It clearly has a Christian and Catholic undertone, no point in arguing that. I am glad Christians and non-Christians alike enjoy the song. Truth attracts by its own splendor.
  • 05-19-2011 10:42 PM In reply to

It is almost directly from GK Chesterton's biography of St. Francis of Assisi, Chapter V. Check it out, it is a fantastic piece of Catholic literature.
  • 05-27-2011 10:06 PM In reply to

Ok folks- song lyrics mean different things to different people and personally I think it's about the songs narrator breaking up with someone and moving on. First line: 'it's empty in the valley of your heart' so the love in the relationship is gone. First verse is saying how she/they're walking away from their problems or their fear of the relationship. Second verse: 'I have seen the same I know the shame in your defeat' this is what makes me think he broke up with her, she's ashamed and he understands this because he has been broken up with before and so knows how it feels. Chorus: 'hold on hope' hopefully find love again 'I will change my ways' improve himself, become better for next time. Third verse is just about walking away from one another. Forth verse: ' i can see widows and orphans through my tears'- not too sure but I think it means he knows there's worse and more terribly sad things out there so probably shouldn't be quite so sad. 'I know my call despite my faults and despite my growing fears' Knows he needs to find someone because that's what life is for even if he's scared about commitment. Fifth verse is from the book everyone's talking about above. Sixth verse: even if she calls and wants to get back together he would ignore her, it's whats best. Last verse- he needs to get out he needs to start living and find someone new, a new relationship with less problems! Whew!! sorry about rambling on but I love trying to read into songs and theirs are the best to do that to!! :D Great song, great lyrics!!!!v :D :)
    keep smearing my heart all over my sleeve, then someone comes and wipes it off, and takes it from me:)
Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next >