Mumford & Sons Official Forum
Exclusive Updates Official Site Buy Music Surf Safe
in

Taking a break?

Last post 09-25-2013 3:47 AM by busted81. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-06-2013 6:34 AM

Taking a break?

So ... in Troy, Marcus said that the band had basically been touring for 6 years and that it was time for them to do their own thing musically. So what does this mean for the band in the next year? I know Marcus is doing a collaboration with Justin Hayward-Young and Ben has his record label and I'm sure Ted could take some time off to get healthy. Did anyone else hear this or have thoughts on the matter? -e-
    remember spring swaps snow for leaves
  • 09-12-2013 1:11 AM In reply to

Re: Taking a break?

I don't know about doing "their own thing musically", but they are taking a break from touring after this month. They said they were taking a break and then regrouping to work on another album, so hopefully this time next year we will be hearing from them. They surely need a rest.
    Official Lady of the Road
  • 09-12-2013 4:16 AM In reply to

Kiki2269:
    I don't know about doing "their own thing musically", but they are taking a break from touring after this month. They said they were taking a break and then regrouping to work on another album, so hopefully this time next year we will be hearing from them. They surely need a rest.

Anyone else surprised or intrigued that they haven't rolled out any new songs during concerts since Babel was released? They introduced songs while touring for Sigh No More some of which made it onto Babel and some that didn't or went through changes. Of course that's not to say they haven't been working on writing, just a change from the past. Of course there are a few dates left still....

• 09-13-2013 12:08 AM In reply to

eleanordc:
    Anyone else surprised or intrigued that they haven't rolled out any new songs during concerts since Babel was released? They introduced songs while touring for Sigh No More some of which made it onto Babel and some that didn't or went through changes. Of course that's not to say they haven't been working on writing, just a change from the past. Of course there are a few dates left still....

I feel like some of what would become Babel came out of necessity to fill a setlist out while touring. I wonder with the material of 2 albums plus a slew of covers if the guys don't feel the need to play new material (assuming it exists)?

Awake My Soul
  • 09-13-2013 12:24 AM In reply to

I too am surprised they didn't sing a brand new song at one of their concerts. They've said they like to play it a few times live for the fans before putting it on an album. Maybe they've been so busy they haven't had time to write or want to surprise us all with a brand new song. Either way I'm glad they will be taking a break and enjoying some time off, God knows they deserve it!! I definitely will be missing them and will have to watch youtube clips until they tour again.

• 09-13-2013 3:09 AM In reply to

At Troy, Marcus actually said that they would be taking a break to do their own thing musically, his words. I know that they have toured pretty much for 6 years straight and that they all have side projects. And yeah, my friends and I had the conversation about them not playing new material at shows ... very strange.
  • 09-13-2013 3:44 PM In reply to

Ben said the same thing in Milwaukee a few days later. I heard them say it in Troy and Milwaukee. In Milwaukee Ben said this is the last time you will hear these songs. Lets hope they can keep it together for many years. I personally think they are not having as much fun as I have seen in the past. They should consider smaller more personal venues the way they paid their dues... I was at the Dixon IL stopover last year and it was a fraction of the size as Troys. If there was 10,000 people in Dixon I would be surprised. Troy had almost 30,000. It didn't have that personal touch/feel like Dixon. You create your own monster I suppose.
    tinknocker
  • 09-13-2013 4:02 PM In reply to

I think they are definitely at a crossroads in their career. They can't go backwards and play smaller venues, they can barely meet demand as it stands now and the lottery system to buy their tickets, while I appreciate the effort to beat scalpers, is just absurd. They need to decide if they want to embrace their popularity ala U2, play the stadiums, the Wembley's to hundreds of thousands of people, or step away from it for awhile like Pearl Jam. Ted has said he doesn't want to play stadiums, but that is essentially the size of the crowds they are playing to at the GOTR shows and the Queen's Park show in London over the summer. I think we will see Marcus probably playing singer-songwriter shows, Ben doing his Communion thing, especially now that it has expanded in the U.S. (he's already said he's going to go to the U.S. Communion gigs on his facebook page), Ted is part of a band called the Moulettes and who knows with Winston - maybe he'll join his sister on tour! (she's a musician as well - look up Giovanna) First I'd heard of the Milwaukee comments (I was at Troy) - seems a bit overdramatic to say "you'll NEVER hear these songs again..." I really wish they would adopt a more consistent touring method though - most big bands announce a huge, yearlong world tour - then take an entire year off - hitting all the major global cities - not hop around the globe for a few weeks here and there. I don't think they quite know how to manage their fame right now - either personally or professionally.
  • 09-14-2013 3:14 PM In reply to

I would be crushed if they never came back after the break. I think they did say in an interview that I read that there were plans to regroup at the end of 2014 to start working on an album so it may be 2015 before they release anything. I think in that same interview Marcus did say they wanted to explore new sounds so it may very well be the case that they don't sing their current songs much after they come back. I feel so lucky to have seen them at the Forest Hills show. It was a small venue and not a crazy huge crowd like at one of the stopovers ( although I would have loved to have gone to a stopover just to say I did). I think all this fame makes them a bit uncomfortable and they dont know what to do with it. Maybe they feel like taking a long break, doing their own thing for a while, and coming back with a new sound will force a kind of reset. Who knows. I just do hope they come back eventually.
  • 09-14-2013 4:33 PM In reply to

Lopaisate:
    I would be crushed if they never came back after the break. I think they did say in an interview that I read that there were plans to regroup at the end of 2014 to start working on an album so it may be 2015 before they release anything. I think in that same interview Marcus did say they wanted to explore new sounds so it may very well be the case that they don't sing their current songs much after they come back. I feel so lucky to have seen them at the Forest Hills show. It was a small venue and not a crazy huge crowd like at one of the stopovers ( although I would have loved to have gone to a stopover just to say I did). I think all this fame makes them a bit uncomfortable and they dont know what to do with it. Maybe they feel like taking a long break, doing their own thing for a while, and coming back with a new sound will force a kind of reset. Who knows. I just do hope they come back eventually.

Hopefully it's not wishful thinking but it seems to me they've made it very clear they'll return. Your point that they've talked about mixing things up and trying some new sounds is one I've heard too (though some of it's tongue and cheek like the rap comments). I know they have so much more to offer musically though I hope they don't completely abandon their sound.   Of course only they know what their plans are. I think the tour has been going on for  a long while and many dates are back to back. Perhaps they are excited to see the light at the end of the tunnel for these tours in support of Babel. I'd imagine as hard as they try to put their all into every show it must be a real challenge;they are human after all!!  They're probably just ready to put it aside for a while and catch their collective breath,regroup and come back better than ever. I can't wait to see what the future holds

• 09-14-2013 6:00 PM In reply to

I can't believe how many magazines and trade papers took that rap comment seriously. I was like "Really? You can't tell they're joking?" The boys must have had a good laugh about everyone going into a tizzy about that. Im not opposed to hearing new sounds from them. I think they are very open musically and love to experiment. Anything they touch will probably turn to gold. Probably even double platinum ;)
  • 09-16-2013 1:53 AM In reply to

I've also heard that they want to pursue more electric sounds, with electric guitars and such. I can't imagine they would stop entirely, but the none stop touring schedule plus festivals and interviews has got to be incredibly difficult, no matter how much you love the music. I too wish they would go back to smaller venues, but happen to agree that they can't unless they try to tour under a different name. I had the pleasure of seeing them in 2012 for $10 at a bar in southern Indiana and I have to say that I still rave about that show. I've also been to 2 Stopovers and although I LOVED Dixon, Troy felt a little forced. As a band, it feels like they do best when they can really connect with their audience, which isn't happening at Stopovers and huge festivals like Lolla.
  • 09-16-2013 3:08 AM In reply to

I heard some troubling things at the last shows I was at. I went to Pelham, Atlanta, SC, and St. Augustine. At almost all of the shows there were various mentions of taking a break (which I expect) but then they said things like they were going to do their own things musically and perhaps the most disturbing was "this is the last time you will hear these songs". However, at St. Augustine they kept saying things like they will be back and will be touring again in Florida, etc. Very optimistic, not breaking up type talk.

I think they may just genuinely be tired. I have heard more than once for more than one source that they never expected to be this big. I agree that they miss the smaller crowds and venues. I think that is why they randomly play at a lot of dive bars after the shows. I also think they enjoy meeting fans and I think that has been taken away from them a bit. I was lucky enough to meet Marcus and Winston on this go around and they were so grateful and still very humble, the anti-rock stars, if you will. They were shocked that I waited for them for like 5 hours. Which I thought was odd. But they were awesome and went out of their way to get around the blockades that "protect them" from the fans.

I don't think they expected to be this big and while they definitely enjoy it (they were loving the largest crowd I was at in St. Augustine) I think they miss being able to play those little venues. They seem like a more intimate band sometimes and it has been taken out of their hands. They HAVE to play these large venues with ticket lotteries or face a backlash from fans.

I think they definitely deserve a break from touring for a bit and even to do their own things musically for a while, if they want. I just hope they come back. Music is their passion though, more so than anything else it seems. And when you have that bug, you can't stay away for long.

Jen

Get over your hill and see what you find there
    With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair

MumsonFans.com
  • 09-16-2013 8:50 AM In reply to

Im just wondering if they mean they won't play the stuff from Babel and Sigh No More much again as opposed to them not being together. I could deal with the thought of that. Perhaps they feel that by not playing these songs again, the songs will be going out on a high. Kind of like how Disney only releases movies for X amount of time and then they go into " the vault."
  • 09-19-2013 5:38 PM In reply to

Does this mean they're splitting?
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >