Mumford & Sons Official Forum
Exclusive Updates Official Site Buy Music Surf Safe
in

Irish roots?

Last post 10-06-2012 8:35 PM by Cromie. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-29-2010 8:44 PM

• kyla67
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-29-2010
    • Posts 1

Irish roots?

Are any of the lads from Ireland? I was bought their album for christmas and love it but it has a very Irish feel to it I got a shock to hear it was a London band.
  • 12-30-2010 12:10 AM In reply to

Re: Irish roots?

kyla67:
    Are any of the lads from Ireland? I was bought their album for christmas and love it but it has a very Irish feel to it I got a shock to hear it was a London band.

no one of them is from Ireland - Winston is from Liverpool, Marcus was born in Anaheim/USA, but lived almost all of his live in London, Ben is Welsh and Ted is from a small town near London, I think...

• 09-28-2012 10:43 AM In reply to

• folkup
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-28-2012
    • Posts 5

I know this is an old thread but it has to be cleared up because its doing my head in!!! I am English but live in Ireland and am sick to death of people saying mumford and sons are irish. They are english through and through and do not have any Irish roots. There is such thing as English Folk music and it is very distinctive in sound and instruments that are used, and is also deep rooted as is irish folk or irish trad as its known. irish folk music should consist and use initially a harp and tabor, also flutes, fiddles and pipes. The only similarity is the use of mandolins and banjo's, thats it. i had to right this post as people always go on about what is English? and why are the English losing there identity? well, i believe this to be related. English folk is English folk
  • 09-28-2012 11:39 AM In reply to

Not sure it matters so much what people say about it as this is what Marcus was quoted on the Mumfordandsons blog- ''I think we’ve realized we’re not really a folk band, and we don’t wanna be a folk band. I think we just wanna be what we are. - Marcus Mumford of Mumford & Sons [x] ----------------------- http://mumfordandsonsblog.tumblr.com/post/32406550134
    To the Cave - let's go girls!

• 09-28-2012 4:21 PM In reply to

• folkup
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-28-2012
    • Posts 5

i completely agree, its all about the music, and as long as they keep making good music then i will always listen no matter what there style is. it is however hard to ignore over here in ireland when people argue with you that they are irish
  • 09-28-2012 4:32 PM In reply to

They wud prob find that amusing lol - did you get tickets for Dublin or Belfast?

• 09-29-2012 2:16 PM In reply to

• folkup
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-28-2012
    • Posts 5

no sold out in 10 minutes apparently!!! but to make up for it saw jake bugg last night, best male voice i've heard for a long time
  • 09-29-2012 2:28 PM In reply to

Fortunatley I did get tickets for Belfast in the presale.... only just, took several stressed attempts, 50 minutes, and a few prayers :), they were sold out in no time on Friday morning! Keep your eyes peeled though, they may still be an opportunity for tickets, did you see this announcement - '' Well if you didn’t manage to get a pair this time, it’s not quite game over for the Tour Of Tour Halves yet. A limited number of tickets have been held back and will be released soon so there’s one more chance… Stay tuned for further details'' ------------------------------------------ http://www.mumfordandsons.com/news/uk-tour-ticket-update

• 09-30-2012 5:46 AM In reply to

Always keeping the hope kindled......
    Keep the earth below my feet.....
  • 09-30-2012 12:12 PM In reply to

• folkup
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-28-2012
    • Posts 5

i was told last night by a work colleague but to be honest not holding my breath! im not too worried if i dont get to see them. so you got tickets for belfast, do you live in belfast?
  • 09-30-2012 6:54 PM In reply to

Just about 30 minutes away, alot closer than the 4 hr drive to Galway for the stopover :-D

• 10-05-2012 9:51 AM In reply to

The band sound Irish. Although you claim to live in Ireland you mention instruments not seen or heard in Irish trad music since the Topographia Hibernica (1188), when Gerald de Barri conceded that the Irish were more skilled at playing music than any other nation he had seen and said the two main instruments used at this time were the "harp" and "tabor". The Tabor, or  tabret, ("Tabwrdd" = Welsh) refers to a portable snare drum  played with one hand. The Irish, of course call it a bodhran.

Irish folk music is played on guitars, mandolins, banjos, fiddles just like Mumford and Sons. There is also uileann pipes, accordions bouzoukis, harmonicas etc. I realise you wish to have this band classified as English folk music but this music genre to most people is more sea shanties, hornpipes or Morris Dance music. Even, if you consider the mid-1980s rebirth of English folk music, fusing it with what was derived from punk rock, it was largely influnced by Irish bands like the Pogues etc. 

It seems to me, you are trying to create a new music genre to suit your own politics rather than respecting and rejoicing in the many hundreds of years of music and sweat that it took to initially create these genres. Most people think the band are Irish because you can actually hear the Johnsons, the Dubliners and even some Plantxy in there. However, music styles like politics are in continual flux and even Bob Dylan conceded the biggest influences on him were Woody Guthrie and Irish trad music. Nobody said even then that he had created a new Minnesota Folk genre.

Filed under: ,
  • 10-05-2012 10:37 AM In reply to

• folkup
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-28-2012
    • Posts 5

so you can do a bit of research on wikipedia, bravo. i claim to live in ireland!!! what a strange comment to make. firstly why would one claim to live in ireland and not; i live in bangor northern ireland. secondly this subject is boring me. and thirdly this subject is about whether they are irish or not; and they are not. it seems to me that you are annoyed that i have said they are not irish. i did however say that the similarities are they use mandolins and banjos. i wont be commenting on this again; they are english, get over it.
  • 10-05-2012 11:57 AM In reply to

Firstly you are actually the one who used Wikipedia to come up with your nonsensical contribution of the 12th century harp and tabor to Irish folk music. Secondly lead singer Marcus Mumford was born on January 31, 1987, in Anaheim, California. Thirdly there is no dispute about the lads being English. If you took the time to look, instead of becoming irrational, it is actually the genre of music that is being discussed in the question. Irish Roots? It is the same way that somebody would say ? Nigerian Roots for Dizzee Rascal or Tinie Tempah. I agree, the whole thing is becoming boring. However great to see the band doing so well. Of course, be very proud of them being English but they sound Irish -that's all.
  • 10-06-2012 4:35 PM In reply to

• pandora55
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-09-2012
    • Wyoming, Michigan
    • Posts 280

Ah, Cromie, so you did get your tickets!! I am so pleased for you! Was prayin' for you, girlie! Now we will be looking for some great updates and photos if you are able to take a few! Think you will be able to catch up with the boys?

Where are you now, where are you now? Do you ever think of me, in the quiet, in the crowd?
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >