Mumford & Sons Official Forum
Exclusive Updates Official Site Buy Music Surf Safe
in

Mr. Mumford's Gear - Any Ideas?

Last post 06-13-2013 3:33 PM by laurakendricck. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-10-2010 8:01 AM In reply to

• pirate
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-10-2010
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1

Marcus Mumford's guitar?

Anyone know what he plays on? Are they nylon strings, by chance?

• 03-12-2010 8:02 AM In reply to

Re: Marcus Mumford's guitar?

Hi Pirate

I'm not a guitar expert but I believe Marcus uses a Martin & Co acoustic guitar very similar to the Flat Top Style 28, he sometimes uses a sound hole pickup to use with an amp. Judging by the crisp sharp sound and the fact that he fair dinkum slams that guitar (in a good way) I'd say the strings had to be steel. Its true that often people of the Folk genre play nylon for the advantages of plucking the strings, but I think he'd just kill it. As I say I'm not an expert so don't quote me on that, but I do know if you want one you'd better start savin' your pennies.

Sounds great though doesn't it.

I love Mumford & Sons

Newly impassioned soul
    ♥♫♪♪♫♥♫♪♪♫♥♫♪♪♫♥♫♪♪♫
  • 03-12-2010 11:44 PM In reply to

• Jory
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-17-2010
    • Posts 3

Yeah, Marcus Mumford is using steel strings on his guitar. If he used nylon it would make for a completely different sound to what he has and if he was thrashing his guitar (like he always does), he'd be snapping his strings all the time + make for a much softer sounding album altogether.
  • 04-26-2011 7:35 PM

Mr. Mumford's Gear - Any Ideas?

Hey guys and gals, I am a musician as well as an avid listener of M&S. Recently I have found that I desperately wish my guitars sounded like Marcus Mumford's. I was wondering if anybody knew what guitars he plays? When I've seen them live and in music videos, hes always playing a Martin whether it be the beautiful dreadnought or the understated OM body of his. However, I have never picked up a Martin with tone like the ones I hear in their music. Anybody have further knowledge as to what brand and model he tours and/or records with? Thanks all, and as always, the Sons are king. -Sanchito
  • 04-27-2011 1:12 AM In reply to

Re: Mr. Mumford's Gear - Any Ideas?

I think he uses a Martin D-28.  That's as much as I know.  Here's a link to that guitar: http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=m&m=D-28

I was told by Jesus all was well
    So all must be well
  • 04-27-2011 5:12 AM In reply to

That's what gets me. I've played countless D-28's and never once played one with the tone that his has. Maybe its a custom order with AAAA grade wood. I know that can change the sound quite drastically.
  • 04-28-2011 12:05 PM In reply to

Hey has 2 martin D-28's, A martin Om-28, a martin D-18 VS, A collings D-3, A Gibson A-5 mandolin, a Gibson ES-335. Hope that helps! Josh
    I'm inclined to believe
    If we were so down
    We'd up and leave....
  • 04-28-2011 2:20 PM In reply to

That is very helpful! Do you know which one he uses to do the bulk of his recording? And any idea what strings he uses? I'm guessing they don't have contracts with anyone yet, so it may be hard to find that out.
  • 04-28-2011 4:52 PM In reply to

I heard on an interview that they used "vintage"instruments to record the album, maybe he hues his Martin D-18 (VS- Vintage Series) its the one he plays on in the little lion man video! Sonically that guitar is a cannon! Marcus uses 13-56 or 13-15 gauge phosphor bronze coated strings! It was in a edition of Guitar Buyer magazine! Hope thats helpful :) Josh
    I'm inclined to believe
    If we were so down
    We'd up and leave....
  • 04-28-2011 5:29 PM In reply to

Thats incredibly helpful haha. How do you know so much about M&S?
  • 04-28-2011 6:25 PM In reply to

Haha, i really dont know, maybe a bit of collective knowledge and a HUGE interest in them, i saw them 3 times last year! They really relate to me and ive changed a hell of a lot by listening to their music and i started playing the guitar becasue of marcus and i can almost play all of their album songs! Im Josh by the way - nice to meet you haha.
    I'm inclined to believe
    If we were so down
    We'd up and leave....
  • 04-28-2011 6:43 PM In reply to

Yeah man I know exactly what you mean. I've been playing for a little over 8 years now. name's matt. Thanks for your help!
  • 04-28-2011 10:29 PM In reply to

Nice man! ive only been playing for not really a year yet, but with time comes great playing. No problem dude!
    I'm inclined to believe
    If we were so down
    We'd up and leave....
  • 05-02-2011 10:31 PM In reply to

• Felipedk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-01-2011
    • Miami ,FL,USA
    • Posts 1

He plays a Martin & Co. D-28 .And yes - It's definitely steel strings.

• 05-04-2011 7:51 PM In reply to

http://forum.mumfordandsons.com/t/2577.aspx
    I'm inclined to believe
    If we were so down
    We'd up and leave....
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >