Mumford & Sons Official Forum
Exclusive Updates Official Site Buy Music Surf Safe
in

'White Blank Page' meaning??

Last post 10-26-2013 6:36 PM by TIW. 74 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (75 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-29-2010 12:15 AM

'White Blank Page' meaning??

Hi Guys,

Heard the amazing Mumford and sons for the first time over the weekend (wow!!) and im hooked! I particularly enjoyed white blank page...and have since been questioning the songs meaning!!! Marcus sings it with such passion....love it! But yeah if you guys have any ideas/opinions let me know! hopefully the band may shed some light on its meaning if im lucky!! :p xx

Where you invest your love, you invest your life x
  • 07-04-2010 5:09 PM In reply to

Re: 'White Blank Page' meaning??

I agree with you. The emotion with which it's performed on the album is quite moving. I'd love to know what inspired it.
  • 07-04-2010 5:12 PM In reply to

Hi erm well im not totally sure but you are right it is sung with such passion and emotion...  brilliant Smile

• 07-16-2010 4:25 PM In reply to

• AnneS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-16-2010
    • Oosterhout, the Netherlands
    • Posts 11

I'm not a native english speaker, so forgive me if I'm wrong. If I look at the next frase, You did not think when you sent me to the brink, to the brink You desired my attention but denied my affections, my affections So tell me now, where was my fault In loving you with my whole heart, I think this is about a women keeping her lover on a distance and/or demanding to much of him.
    Time flies and you are the pilot.
  • 09-07-2010 2:01 AM In reply to

• tedrhew
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-07-2010
    • Kansas City, MO
    • Posts 1

can it be a song about infidelity or a cheating mate? The first verse sang to the man in the 'middle', (can you lie next to her...) the chorus of - 'tell me now where was my fault... to the lover, the 2nd verse to the main lover? Just a thought. Awesome song!!

• 09-13-2010 3:47 PM In reply to

tedrhew, I think you may be right. One interesting thing about M's lyrics, is that he does seem to change the object frequently within songs. i.e. singing to his lover, then singing to her lover. I think he does this too in Little Lion Man. not many artists pull this off, as it confuses listeners :OP I love discussing lyrics and look forward to many more posts in this forum!
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis
  • 09-15-2010 7:34 PM In reply to

I would really like to know what the meaning is as well...the song progress from depression, to rage then to desperation. I LOVE IT! Whatever the meaning is it is such a powerful song!

• 10-06-2010 11:15 AM In reply to

I tink it's most certainly about cheating, it describes the emotions and thoughts you go through to a T!  Absolutely perfect and a heartbreakingly personal song which could apply to many people!  Beautiful (but a little enraging at the same time!)

• 10-07-2010 10:09 AM In reply to

• keane
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-15-2010
    • Spain
    • Posts 36

I don't know the exact meaning of the song, surely about love because it shows so many emotions related to relationships. Anyway, amazing song!

• 10-08-2010 2:08 AM In reply to

• psilocix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-04-2010
    • Germany/Nederlands
    • Posts 54

I don't really think the song is meant to tell a specific story, though it may very well be inspired by one.

Part of the fascination (for me at least) is that you can take this vibe and apply it to certain situations most people get to know somewhere in their lives. It's more of a picture or an abstract idea.

"Well, then,"the Cat went on "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wag its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefor I'm mad.
  • 10-14-2010 12:57 PM In reply to

I dont think it has any particular story, just emotions, all the emotions to do with love.? http://www.flickr.com/photos/georgiagracekathleen/4697440182/
  • 10-19-2010 3:10 PM In reply to

• dogspin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-15-2010
    • Glasgow, Scotland
    • Posts 7

I would say 'unrequited love' - the song [at least to me] seems to be about a person who is in love with another, but they don't know this and treat them as a friend. Think of the phrase - always a bridesmaid, never a bride; hmm maybe not. But I see it as a bloke in love with a girl where she doesn't know, they have been best friends since forever, but she has never looked at him in that way. The song is mockinh him into having the guts to tell her how he feels. Maybe she meets someone else and he [I think] is supposed to be happy for her. However, he sets down with a pad [a white blank page] and trys to explain his feelings in writing - unable to do even this he becomes angry [rage at himself?]. Of course this is probably a load of cobblers - but like any song lyrics - they mean what they mean to you, and Marcus would be wise to keep his inspiration to himself.

• 10-19-2010 3:52 PM In reply to

• violet
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-19-2010
    • Mars
    • Posts 2

KUDOS

I agree with your analysis of the song. The dreaded triangle: I love you, you love her, she loves someone else. I don't know about you, but I've stared into many a blank white page during the unholy hours of night spilling out my soul and building a defense which all fell upon deaf ears. It's a beautifully heartbreaking song, because it's so brutally honest.

• 11-07-2010 8:16 AM In reply to

Re: White Blank Page meaning??

So I randomly listened to this song the other day and it popped into my head to listen to it from God's perspective. I did and WOW. I was blown away. It really does sound as if it were God singing it to us, being sinners, not accepting his love, as if He's saying, "No earthly, human relationship is as good and pure and honest as the relationship that you can have with me." I will try to explain more later, I'm dead tired, but there's so much more that I want to say. I need to come back to this when I can think straight... I really hope that's how it was written. The whole love triangle thing, that's not too far off I don't think. I mean... welp, I'll explain myself later.. haha
  • 11-07-2010 11:13 AM In reply to

Re: White Blank Page meaning??

Yeah I was thinking along the same lines - it says 'And can you kneel before the king/And say I’m clean, I’m clean' it sounds like it has a christian message saying that we cannot stand before God and tell Him we haven't done anything wrong - I maybe completely wrong though, just a guess. It does make a lot of sense though to listen to it from God's perspective. It's possible that other songs have this kind of theme e.g. After the storm refers to 'no more tears', 'love will not break your heart' and 'grace in your heart and flowers in your hair' similar to the descriptions of after our death or the end times in the bible, such 'and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.' (Revelations) But yeah, this is only an interpretation of it - may mean something totally different - love triangle very possible!
Page 1 of 5 (75 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >